Monday, November 5, 2012

Terminal West aka The Bait Shop

My suspicion is that I'm dating myself when I make a "The O.C." reference.

I'm dating myself as much as when, say, I compared a client to Jimmy Stewart and my 18-year-old intern stared at me blankly before asking, "Who's that?"

But still, kids these days probably don't know the prime time melodrama that sought to define the much-coveted, over-privileged existence of Newport Beach teen-somethings. And this is why I felt particularly old when I first walked into Terminal West, a new-comer venue in the trendy King Plow Arts Center on the west side of Atlanta. The soaring ceiling with exposed beams, the recovered wood bars, and most of all, the small balcony gave me a rush of teen angst and confusion. I immediately began searching the room for the jealous make-out sessions and the alcoholic, drug-addicted rich girl.

In true O.C. fashion, Terminal West has become something of a hang out for us recently. We've seen three shows there in the past few weeks, and we've quickly made our home the front row of the balcony. For one recent concert, I sat on the floor during the headliner (I was there to see the opener, after all) and just made myself at home. It was a great time; if only Seth Cohen had made an impromptu appearance, the night would've been perfect.

Terminal West seems to be one of the few venues in Atlanta where the artists truly determine the crowd. No matter the show, more legendary spots like The Tabernacle and The Fox Theatre, which are overrun by corporate sponsors and branding, attract season-ticket holders or middle-aged and pre-teen suburbanites uncertain of how to be cool. The Masquerade holds court for the teenaged rebellious set, and The Earl, of course, is a haven for "hipsters," or as my husband likes to say, "those trendy people who can't be named."

But Terminal West, for the time being, is a blank slate for those who are truly fans of the artist playing. Take, for instance, the wonderful Damien Jurado set we caught the other evening. The crowd was so enraptured and quiet during his solo acoustic set that the bartender was vigorously shushed when he tried to make a shaken martini. Only a few nights later, at the always-entertaining Features show, the crowd was a bit less low-key, chatting, dancing, and singing along.

I'm excited about our new hang out with fancy train pictures and largest cans of Miller High Life I've ever seen. As long as it continues to get great artists, I'm excited to make Terminal West my Bait Shop. Here's hoping it's not my foray into a teen life only possible on a Newport Beach pier.

No comments:

Post a Comment